Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sarah's Key

Sarah’s Key. Magnificent. One word would suffice.
If you  love these genre of books, then its a MUST BUY
You will not be Disappointed! 




Plot Summary:

It is set in two time periods. 1942 France and 2002 France. During the Velodrome d’hiver, thousands of jewish families were arrested and sent to Auschwitz. One girl, Sarah locks her four year old brother up, desperate to save him from the brutality. She promises to come back for him. But does she?

My thoughts:

After reading this book, i had nightmares for several days, no kidding. I finished reading this book in 2 days. I just sat down and was determined to finish it. I wanted to know how it all turned out. Although not completely historical, the Velodrome d’hiver (or the Swift of Spring Breeze) did happen in Paris in 1942. The Jewish families were transported to the extermination camp under the orders of the French Police. I did not cry or sob reading this book, I must admit, but there is a sombre feeling in me that i simply cannot get rid off. This is a different type of emotion, one that i have never felt before. One that I am terrified of.

Though this book affected me in ways, I cannot imagine. It has changed me. Ignorance is something that I condone now. Sitting back and saying, "That's not my problem" is not a way to go about in this world. We are a family. Different races, religion, countries, languages, but the color of our blood is one and the same: it is red. And it is not worth shedding. We need to work together hand in hand and let us love, forget hate and live together as one.

Peace begins with a smile. 

How does the blood of thousands of young people and the tears of loved ones solve the problem at hand? Instead it puts fuel to the fire, a vicious cycle between hatred and violence.

I am not asking one to be neutral. I am not asking one to “not care” or “not get involved”. As Elie Wiesel, the Nobel Peace Laureate and the author of “Night” says,

“Neutrality helps the oppressor never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. ”.

Interfere. By speaking up in conferences. Writing in journals. Not killing thousands of innocent people. What do you achieve by that?

Today, I bow my head in silence, in respect to all those who lost their lives and loved ones in these genocides and wars. I may not share the same country, language or culture with them, but we are all part of this beautiful home, Planet Earth.

Let us all keep them in our prayers. Let us pray for world peace. Let us stand up for what we believe in. Let us choose love over hatred. Let us choose. diplomacy over violence. Let us live as one human race.


 I recommend this to:

If you are someone who loves reading historical fiction and plots about war/genocides and would not mind being taunted by heart wrenching stories, I would recommend this to you.

This novel is not for the Faint-hearted.
But a heart moving, awe- inspiring, life changing read, nevertheless



Don't you just love this quote?:
"I had looked at him straight in the eyes.
Sorry for not knowing. Sorry for being forty-five years old and not knowing.”
Tatiana de Rosnay, Sarah's Key

"Zakhor. Al Tichkah. Remember. Never forget.”
Tatiana de Rosnay, Sarah's Key 

Don't judge the book by its cover?

When I first saw this cover art, i thought the photography was absolutely stunning. The contrast of the yellow and the girl's red dress was eye catchy. It did have a vintage feel to it. But after reading this book,  my perspective on the cover art changed: it was heart-wrenching. 

Rate:
9/10


No comments: