Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Girl with Green Dress

Matched.
On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia Reyes is introduced to her "Perfect Match". But what if her "Perfect" match is not so "Perfect" after all.

20120812-162546.jpg


Plot Summary: (Thanks to Goodreads)
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow


My thoughts 
Rule #1: Don't compare this to the hunger games.
The idea of a  "Society" might remotely remind you of the Capital in the Hunger Games, but just Read Matched as it is.
The plot is interesting and well thought of. In a "Society" which controls every cell in your body, imagine having the Government choose your Soul Mate?
 (**Runs around in circle.. HORROR**

I thought the book started off amazing. But the characters, though well developed, did not tug my heartstrings! Probably a reason why this book did not rate as high as the others. 
I found Cassia, quite whiney and annoying at times.
(Sorry Cassia but a girl is entitled to her opinion, no?
I just wanted her to get a MOVE ON with Life. Maybe its just me.(Such a low threshold for Patience)
A reason why I advised all readers out there, not to compare this book with the Hunger Games because sub consciously you will! I did! I constantly compared Cassia to Katniss. That is why i did not get the whole point of the plot! 
Katniss Everdeen lives in a similar world, where the Capital takes over every aspect of your life, but this is not THE HUNGER GAMES people. THIS IS NOT THE CAPITOL!
Cassia Reyes, is someone who is still searching for her purpose in the Society whereas Katniss knew exactly where she stands in her World. So please cut her some slack. Give her a chance to tell her story!

The male characters had no effect on me either (surprised?) Perhaps it is wise to wait for the other two books in the trilogy, to grow closer to the characters. The story, however, was well thought of. And perhaps, the trilogy is worth giving a try.

I recommend this to
I would recommend this to anyone, who like Dystopian novels. As for me, I would definitely give this trilogy a go, just for the idea behind the plot.

Don't you just love this quote?
“We could have been happy. I know that, and it is perhaps the hardest thing to know.” 

Rate:
7/10

A thought:
Another Dystopian novel under my belt (woohoo!). Reading Dystopian novels is perhaps like escaping Reality. Something about this world does not sit easy with me, that i run looking for the answers in the Dystopian novels? But then again, Dystopian do not have the answers, for it does not represent the BRAVE NEW UTOPIAN world? Then why do i keep running? WHY?

1 comment:

BookHounds said...

I have this sitting on my shelf and just haven't read it yet sigh -- I guess I need to...