Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Jodi Picoult's Lone Wolf


Okay yes yes, I know what you are thinking..
Why is it stories about Wolves.. AGAIN?
Is she obsessed with wolves or what?

I thought it was only fair to continue my "wolf" obsession and review a book I read last March 2012- Jodi Picoult's Lone Wolf.
Before I begin, here's something to a'ww at


Aww, look at that!


Plot Summary
You want to save your father's life
Your brother wants to let him die
What would you do?

This story follows a daughter Cara and son Edward while they cope with the tragedy that has recently struck their family; their father has met with an accident. Luke Baxter, is a wolf guy (he grows wolves, studies them and he has even lived with wolves.. yes yes THE WOLVES accepted him in their pack-- WOW!) and is currently in a coma. The doctors have given up hope and would like to end his life support and donate his organs. But ultimately the decision lies with the family; his daughter and son. 

Son Edward ran away from home at a young age after Quarrelling with his Dad. Recently returned from Thailand, he wants to end Life support as he believes this is what his Dad would have wanted. But Cara, who has spent all her life with Dad, knows him as a fighter. She believes he would survive this trauma. 

This is a fight. A Fight for their Dad's life.


My thoughts:

I am a loyal reader. Therefore when I saw this book on the shelves, my legs just started walking towards them while my hands reached out to get them!
And when I saw the "Half Price" sticker on it - it was a complete no brainer. I have got to get it! 

As a medical student, this book was really interesting as it shed light on the whole ethical issue of "ending life support". What good timing it was- as we were studying about "Life support" in our Medical Ethics the week I started reading this book! It definitely enabled me to understand the plight of the relatives of the patient; and my oh my what a plight that is!

Each Chapter in this novel is dedicated to one character. A Jodi Picoult Signature. Therefore we never fail to see the perspectives of each individual. In this book, it is hard to take sides and become TEAM EDWARD(is it me or is Edward always involved with a wolf?) or TEAM CARA. Your heart goes out to both of them which makes this book- heart tugging AWESOMENESS. 

The whole "wolf" element is fascinating as it helps us understand how Wolves and Human are in-fact similar. Wolves are just so amazing creatures (I know know, you are saying- "there she goes again! but..) they truly are! The bond they share between them is one that is mesmerizing. If only I were as Brave as Luke Baxter, I would actually go live with them, no just kidding, I am happy in my human form, thankyouverymucho! We also get to know Luke better, as he recounts his days with the wolves and explains why he prefers being with wolves to with his fellow human counterparts. 

Jodi Picoult never fails to engulf her readers into the world she creates. The dilemma that the characters go through suddenly feels like a dilemma you are facing in your own life. I was so involved in this book, I read it between lectures, while waiting for the bus, in the tube, at nights. I just could not put it down. The emotional roller-coaster this book offers is one which will leave you in tears. I just loved this book to bits. I even teared in the tube whilst I was reading this; people just stared at me. Oh wells.

Okay this is going to sound so shallow but I LOVED the fact that there are small illustrations in this book; snowflakes, leaves, wolf-paws. They add a little something to the whole experience of reading a book, don't you think?

I recommend this to:

This book is not for the faint-hearted. If you looking for a pleasure read, one that would make you laugh and feel all gooey and good inside, then this book, I'm afraid my friend, is not what your are looking for.

 If you are not afraid to be sucked into a world filled with secrets, lies and heartbreaks. If you are not afraid to tear up and heave a sob when reading. Then this is the book you are looking for.

Jodi Picoult fans' will not be dissapointed at all! 

If you are thinking about reading this book- DON'T THINK, JUST GO READ IT.

Don't you just love this quote?

"There's an honesty to the wolf world that is liberating. There's no diplomacy, no decorum. You tell your enemy you hate him; you show your admiration by confessing the truth. That directness doesn't work with humans, who are masters of subterfuge. Does this dress make me look fat? Do you really love me? Did you miss me? When a person asks this, she doesn't want to know the real answer. She wants you to lie to her. After two years of living with wolves, I had forgotten how many lies it takes to build a relationship.” 

Oh amazingness.





Rate:
8/10




No comments: